Have you ever washed the pillows on your bed?
If you’re easily disgusted you might need to look away now. Actually, if you’re easily disgusted it’s probably in your best interest to keep reading!
Did you know there are dust mites in your pillow? Yes, the pillow where you lay your head at night. Ten percent of the weight of a two year old pillow can be composed of dead mites and their droppings. I won’t bore you with the details but if you’d like to know additional details, feel free to read more about dust mites on the Environment, Healthy and Safety Online Website.
Guidelines on how to wash pillows.
Now that you know WHY you should wash your pillows, let’s talk about HOW to wash your bed pillows.
How to wash pillows with synthetic filling:
- Most pillows with synthetic filling can be washed in the washing machine on delicate with hot water. Check the label to be certain. It’s also wise to wash two at a time to prevent an uneven load. When drying the pillows you can add a new tennis ball or dryer ball to help the pillows retain their shape.
How to wash down pillows or pillows with another natural filling:
- Pillows filled with down or another natural filling should be sent to the dry-cleaners. If you must wash this type of pillow at home, it’s usually recommended that they be hand washed in warm soapy water and air dried.
How to wash memory foam pillows:
- Memory Foam pillows can also be hand washed in warm soapy water but should not be put in the dryer.
Of course it goes without saying that you should check the label of any pillow you plan on washing to find out specific instructions.
Hope this helps. I’m off to go wash my pillows!
Do you ever wash your pillows? If so, how often?
Latest posts by Christine Satterfield (see all)
- Clean Enough: Simple Solutions for the Overwhelmed Homemaker - December 8, 2013
- Shark Lift-Away Professional Steam Pocket Mop - December 3, 2013
- Cleaning, Organizing, & Christmas #CyberMonday Deals! - December 2, 2013
- Create YOUR Perfect Cleaning Schedule Cyber Monday 50% off Discount! - December 2, 2013
- Organize Photos with Photo Books - November 21, 2013