I’m constantly amazed at the amount of wrappers, tags, scrap paper, etc. that’s lying around my home. How do I have so much trash? Our family is quite small right now so I really can’t figure out how it happens. But, inevitably, piles around the house stack up and my purse is always full of things that should find their home in the trash can.
If you can even remotely relate, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. If you only have time to do one thing when it comes to cleaning, get rid of the trash. It’s not only a great first step in the cleaning process, it also helps declutter your surroundings which in turn, begins the process to a more organized life.
So grab a trash bag, take it with you around your home and do the following:
- pick up scrap pieces of paper, tags, etc. that are not already in a trash can
- empty small trash cans in each room
- clean out your purse and bags
- go though the mail (at least take everything out of the envelopes if you can’t process your mail immediately)
- look through drawers and cabinets for items that should find a home outside of yours.
The last step is often be the hardest part. It can be tempting to keep plastic cups, jars, broken toys, 5 year old magazines, etc., but try to ask yourself if you actually use the item. Are you just holding on to it because you haven’t found the time to get rid of it? Because you *might* need it one day?
Think about it this way. If you have have 48 plastic cups in the cabinet for your family of five, there’s a good chance you’re using up some valuable cabinet space on things you rarely (if ever) use. Yes, you might wish you had those cups the next time you have 40 of your closest friends over. But, every other day of the decade, you’ll be thankful to have some additional storage space open!
Do find yourself overrun with paper and trash? Please tell me I’m not the only one!
Latest posts by Christine Satterfield (see all)
- Clean Enough: Simple Solutions for the Overwhelmed Homemaker - December 8, 2013
- Shark Lift-Away Professional Steam Pocket Mop - December 3, 2013
- Cleaning, Organizing, & Christmas #CyberMonday Deals! - December 2, 2013
- Create YOUR Perfect Cleaning Schedule Cyber Monday 50% off Discount! - December 2, 2013
- Organize Photos with Photo Books - November 21, 2013