Have you ever looked at your disastrous kitchen and just couldn’t bear the thought of tackling the mess? I sure hope you are nodding your head yes! It will make me feel so much better if I’m not the only one.
There are days (if I’m honest I would say EVERY day) that I don’t feel like cleaning the kitchen. That’s why I have to play a little mind game with myself. I have to trick myself into cleaning the kitchen.
I set the timer for 5 minutes and compete with myself to see how fast I can clean the kitchen.
Here are 10 steps for cleaning the kitchen in 5 minutes or less:
First, set the timer.
Then get a game plan together and work the plan.
Ready, set, go!
- Dirty Dishes – Gather all dirty dishes from around the house (*ahem*) and bring them to the kitchen. Move fast!
- Trash – Pick up all the trash off the counters (see how much you can carry at once) and throw it away.
- Refrigerator – Grab everything that goes in the refrigerator and put it where it belongs. Try to make it in one trip.
- Cabinets – Gather everything that belongs in the cabinets and put it in the correct location. Again, try to make one trip.
- Utensils – Pick up all dirty utensils (forks, spoons, knives, spatulas) from the counters and sink to put in the dishwasher’s silverware basket.
- Cups/Glasses/Mugs – Gather all drinking glasses to put on the top shelf of the dishwasher. Try to put similar cups beside each other but don’t get too hung up on it. Remember the timer is on!
- Plates – If you have more than one size plate, start with the smallest size and load them in the dishwasher. Then work your way up to the larger sizes.
- Everything else – Grab all of the big items (pots, pans, strainers, cutting boards) and either put them in the dishwasher or wash them by hand.
- Start the dishwasher – Only if it’s full of course.
- Wash and dry the counters – Wipe down the stove, microwave, and any other appliance that’s dirty with one hand and use another rag to dry with the other hand.
Stop the timer. Check to see if you cleaned your kitchen in under five minutes.
Celebrate if you did!
Now you can leave your sparkling kitchen with your wash cloth and dish rags, put them in the laundry basket and enjoy the rest of your day. While you’re on your way out, take anything else that doesn’t belong in the kitchen and put the items where they belong.
Do you see the trick? It’s not about following the steps exactly. It’s about keeping like items together and doing like functions at the same time. Clean your kitchen by taking as few steps as possible.
We don’t want to get sidetracked by cleaning a few dishes, then going to the refrigerator, then throwing something away.
It breaks the flow.
When we keep similar functions together we take fewer steps, thus cutting cleaning time tremendously!
There’s another benefit of loading like items together in the dishwasher. When it’s time to unload and put the dishes away, it saves a ton of time!
Do you think it can work? Check out the Clean Your Kitchen in 5 Minutes Video, give it a try yourself and let me know if it worked!
If you ARE the dishwasher, I feel for you. Please feel free to share your tips for cleaning your kitchen quickly without a dishwasher.
Latest posts by Christine Satterfield (see all)
- 4 Easy Ways to Stay Warm and Lower Your Heat Bill This Winter #FiltreteFilters - December 12, 2013
- Clean Enough: Simple Solutions for the Overwhelmed Homemaker - December 8, 2013
- Shark Lift-Away Professional Steam Pocket Mop - December 3, 2013
- Cleaning, Organizing, & Christmas #CyberMonday Deals! - December 2, 2013
- Create YOUR Perfect Cleaning Schedule Cyber Monday 50% off Discount! - December 2, 2013