Step 12 :: Clean and Refresh the Garbage Disposal
Have you seen those garbage disposal cleaning tablets at the store? The ones that that have a lemony smell that clean away the grime?
Well, you can make your own quite easily.
DIY Homemade Garbage Disposal Cleaning Tablets
- Citrus slices or peelings
- Ice cube tray
Slice a lemon, orange, or other citrus fruit. Place in ice-cube tray and fill to the top with vinegar. Freeze until cubes form. Remove vinegar/citrus cubes from ice-cube tray and place in resealable bag. Keep in freezer until needed.
When cleaning the garbage disposal, just pull out a couple of cubes and grind in the garbage disposal.
These homemade vinegar/citrus tablets will work great to periodically disinfect your garbage disposal. However, storing them takes up freezer space. And in my house, freezer space is at a premium.
So you know what I discovered?
The best way to clean and disinfect your garbage disposal is to just do it when the opportunity strikes!
- If you peel and orange to eat or use squeeze a lemon in a recipe, throw the rind in the garbage disposal and give it a whirl.
- After you wash the dishes and wipe down the counters and sink, throw a couple of ice cubes in the garbage disposal and grind away.
- When you’re walking through the clean and organized kitchen steps, (oh yeah, that’s now!) grab an old toothbrush and scrub all the crevices in the opening of the garbage disposal. You’ll be amazed at the transformation you can get by using a little elbow grease.
By the way, if you have a second drain in your kitchen sink, scrub that one with the toothbrush too!
How was that for an easy step in our clean and organize kitchen series?
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013