You’ve washed the dishes and unloaded the dishwasher or dish rack. Some of you may have even had to do this twice! But that’s okay. Now we can all start implementing the habit of washing or loading dirty dishes into the dishwasher as they accumulate.
Let’s move on to the next step…
Step 2 :: Remove the Clutter
The next step to a clean and organized kitchen is to rid the room of anything that doesn’t belong. With the exception of a few strategic decorations, if it doesn’t help you cook, eat, or clean, it’s probably hindering your ability to fully utilize your kitchen.
- Do you have a stack of papers that should be in the in-box on your desk? I have books that need to be moved.
- Do your kids have toys in kitchen that should be in their room? Thomas the Train and his friends have somehow found a home in our plastic cups!
- Do you have bags on the floor? We’ve made it a habit to dump everything by the garage door that enters into our kitchen and they always block the pantry door.
- Do you have odds and ends on your refrigerator? We have kid’s artwork and an old basked I’ve been meaning to throw away on top of the fridge.
- Do you have a junk drawer full of stuff that belongs somewhere else? I have sunglasses, sunblock, tools and more that need to go to their permanent home.
- Do you have a rarely used TV or radio on your kitchen counters? What about an abundance of knickknacks? Clearing your counters of clutter will give you more space to enjoy your kitchen and use what you have.
As you can tell, my kitchen has become a dumping ground for several items that belong elsewhere. Perhaps yours has too. It’s easy to do!
If you look around and see only essential kitchen items, then congratulations! You get the day off!
But if you happen to see something that doesn’t belong in the kitchen, take it to the appropriate location. And then tell me about your weird, strange, non-kitchen item in the comment section! I’d love to hear about it!
Make sure to check out the rest of the clean and organize kitchen series!
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013