The front door to your home gives guests a glimpse into the home they’re about to enter. If the door is colorful and full of character, then it’s likely they’ll be entering a home with the same qualities. If it’s clean outside, your guest will subconsciously assume the inside of your home is clean. The front door to your home is a first impression of sorts.
Of course the outside doesn’t always match the inside. But, if you want the first impression to be the best, here are a few tips for amping up your front door and entryway:
- Remove any cobwebs or hives that have surrounded the doorframe or porch.
- Check your door lock. Grab a screwdriver to tighten it up if it’s not secure.
- Clean scuff-marks and dirt covering the door. A cleaning cloth, all-purpose cleaner and elbow grease can make a big impact.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to kick the color up a notch and make it look new again.
- Check the lighting to make sure walkways and stairs are easily viewable at night.
- Add a outdoor decorative light or use a high-quality spray paint to make an old light fixture look new again.
- Include a nice welcome mat so guests to wipe debris off their shoes before entering.
- Add seasonal plants and flowers to the ground surrounding the door. Planting fresh herbs like mint or basil will add a fresh scent and brighten the mood of your guests. Certain herbs have the added benefit of being a natural bug repellant!
It doesn’t take much work to keep a clean and tidy entryway but it does require a little bit of upkeep. The small investment of your time, however, will give a great first impression to your home!
Have you added any special touches to your entryway that give a great first impression?
Make sure you visit these other Room by Room bloggers to see what their saying about Entry Ways:
- Jami from An Oregon Cottage is talking about The Evolution Of An Entry.
- Nony from A Slob Comes Clean is talking about Overcoming Big Idea Paralysis.
- Taylor from Stain Removal 101 is sharing 5 Mudroom Ideas To Keep It Both Clean And Inviting.
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013