Your home has a unique smell. So does mine. But since we each spend a good amount of time in our own homes, we’ve become accustomed to the way it smells. Is almost impossible to tell if our own home smells good, has an odor, or is even noticeable at all.
If you don’t believe me, go to your grandmother’s house. Go visit your cousin. Stop by a friends house you haven’t seen in a couple of years. You’ll notice!
But can you find out how your own home smells?
Thankfully, the answer is yes!
You can ask a trusted friend. Ask your friend if they can tell your beloved dog has been sitting on the couch. Ask them if they can smell the litterbox in the corner of the room. Ask them if your home smells dusty or musty.
Then give your nostrils a break. If you’ve ever walked in the front door after a week long vacation, you may remember that familiar smell of “home.” Was it fresh and clean? Or could you smell the mothballs from your closet? It’s amazing what you can smell when your nose has had a break. Next time you’re out of town for a while, pay attention when you walk back in for the first time.
If you find out home has an unnoticeable or even a pleasant smell, that’s great! But, what if you find out there’s a slight odor?
It’s possible to rid your home of strange odors!
First, clean, clean, clean.
I know. That’s probably not what you wanted to hear! But when you implement a few cleaning habits, it really does make a difference in the way your home smells.
- Food doesn’t sit on the kitchen counter as long when you clean your kitchen on a regular basis.
- Pet hair and debris from the outside doesn’t get ground into your carpet when you add vacuuming to your cleaning schedule.
- That “bathroom smell” doesn’t creep up when you clean your tub, toilets, and floors on a regular basis.
Next, put pets in their place.
I’m a pet lover. Especially cute, cuddly puppies. But they do give your home a certain odor. You may not want to believe this, but guests can tell if you have a pet as soon as they walk in the door.
According to healthy living expert, Building Biologist and author Lisa Beres:
Furry companions are considered family members to many — 72 percent of American households today own either a dog or a cat. Reduce the unpleasant smell of pet dander by bathing and grooming your pet weekly and establishing pet-free zones in the home, such as the bedroom.
Finally, consider changing your air filter.
An HVAC expert once told me that inexpensive one month filters are the best option for your air conditioning unit. Those filters don’t heavily restrict air flow so the unit doesn’t have to work as hard to filter the air. You must, however, change those filters every single month. I like to change mine on the first of every month so I don’t forget!
However, that same expert told me there are circumstances where a speciality filter is preferred:
- Households where family members have allergies could benefit from a specialty air filter to help reduce airborne allergens from the air passing through the filter, such as household dust, pollen, dust mite debris and mold spores.
- Families that notice a strong odor in their home could also benefit from a specialty filter like the Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter. According to their website, it removes odors such as pet, smoke, cooking, mildew, and cleaning chemicals.
Talking about the smells in our home can be a sensitive subject. It’s kind of like having something stuck in your teeth. You want to know…even if it brings a moment of embarrassment. That way you can do something about it!
So, let me know in the comment section, do you think about the way your home smells? What tips do you have for removing odors?
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Filtrete and received a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate. Find out more about Filtrete products by visiting their Facebook and Twitter pages.
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013