Have you picked up your first CSA box yet? We just picked up our second batch!
I don’t know about you, but knowing that fresh, in-season fruits and vegetables will be filling our fridge each week seems to give the extra boost we need to make sure every single bite of it gets eaten.
One way to make sure the CSA box doesn’t go to waste is to prepare the fruits and vegetables the day you receive it. If your CSA box is organic, it’s especially important to prepare the food quickly so it doesn’t rot. Plus, there could be a few critters hidden in the produce that you may want to wash away!
How to Clean Fruits & Vegetables from your CSA Box
- Start with a clean sink. Plug the drain and fill your sink with lukewarm water.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of baking soda or 1/2 cup of vinegar.
- Let the fruits and veggies soak in the mixture for 3-5 minutes, agitating or scrubbing when necessary. Pull apart leafy veggies so the entire plant is cleaned.
- Take the fruit and vegetables out of the sink and allow to air dry on a drying mat, paper towel or in a colander.
- Store (what you didn’t eat in the process!).
What fruits and veggies are you most excited to eat this spring/summer?
If you liked this post, I’d be honored if you’d Pin it! [pinit]
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013