We all know that we should avoid pouring uncooked or liquid fat in the garbage disposal to prevent build up on drain pipes, right? Then what are we supposed to do with fat cooked out when browning meat?
Some people pour that fat into a glass jar and store it under the sink. When it’s full, they throw it out. I, however, don’t really like to store it so I usually just pour the fat into an empty can that I’ve used when making the same meal.
Something to take note of though – cans rust!
I happened to leave one of those cans sitting in my sink just a little too long and a nice rust ring formed that seemed to be impossible to remove with conventional methods.
At one point in time I had stainless steel sink cleaner. It was a white abrasive powder that worked wonders! Not wanting to buy an entire bottle of cleaning product for this one little stain, I tried everything I could think of to remove the rust with what I had: all-purpose cleaner, steel brushes, and good ol’ elbow grease. But, nothing worked.
Then, an epiphany. I thought, what would someone who only used green cleaning products do? Well, the stainless steel sink cleaner looked very similar and had the same texture as something sitting two feet away in my refrigerator:
It couldn’t hurt to try! So, I covered the rust with baking soda, lightly scrubbed the stain until it was gone, and rinsed. Voilà! Good as new!
Removing rust from a stainless steel sink is easy with a little green cleaning product called baking soda!
Since April is Earth Month, today seemed like a perfect time to tell you about it. It’s also a perfect time to tell you about Scott Naturals 4 Week Test Drive.
In honor of Earth Month, Scott Naturals is challenging Americans to pledge to go green by testing out its line of hybrid paper products for four weeks. They sent me a care package of Scott Naturals products (paper towels, facial tissue, napkins and flushable moist wipes, all made with recycled fiber) to “test drive” and you can do the same!
1. Leave a comment telling me your favorite green cleaning method.
For extra entries:
2. Visit ScottBrand.com and make a virtual pledge to take the 4 week test drive. Then come back here and leave a comment letting me know you have done so.
3. Visit ScottBrand.com and make and enter to win a Ford Fusion hybrid sedan!!!!! Then come back here and leave a comment letting me know you have done so.
4. Visit ScottBrand.com and “like” them on Facebook (look towards the bottom of the screen). Then come back here and leave a comment letting me know you have done so.
5. “Like” iDreamofClean on Facebook. Then come back here and leave a comment letting me know you have done so or already do.
Comments will be closed at 11:59pm on April 20 and a winner will be selected.
Disclosure: The Motherhood contacted me to test drive Scott Naturals Products which they compensated me for. All opinions are my own. You can read more about my disclosure policy here.
P.S. Have you entered to win a trip to the GE Momsperience with me yet? If not, click here!
P.S.S. Have you entered to win a $50 Amazon.com gift card yet? If not, click here!
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013