Do you feel like you’ve outgrown your living space? Maybe the closets are full and there are toys everywhere. Perhaps every time you receive a gift or buy something new you just can’t find a “home” for it.
I’ve lived in both large and small spaces. Actually, I lived in a large home and then downsized to a place one-third the size! It’s usually the other way around. You know, buy a starter home, then continually upgrade every time you move. Downsizing is tough. But, it can also be very freeing!
Today I’m going to share a few advantages of living in a small home.
- Household bills are usually less expensive since it costs less to heat and cool a smaller area.
- When decorating the small home there’s less furniture to buy, fewer walls to paint, and less flooring to buy.
- You often say “no” to new purchases even if you wouldn’t normally have the willpower. If you don’t have space to bring something new into the house, you just can’t buy it. That can save quite a bit of money!
- Giving can become a way of life. If you do need to make a purchase, you often have to find a new home for a few items to make room for the new one. Of course, you don’t have to live in a small space to be a giver. You can live in a mansion and have a giver’s heart!
- When you have fewer possessions, there’s less to maintain and clean! That’s a huge plus.
- Families are usually closer when they live in a smaller space. Since they can’t all disperse to different rooms in the house, they spend more time together which makes them a tighter family unit. This might be the greatest benefit of all!
Living in a small space doesn’t automatically make all of the above true, but if you find yourself outgrowing your current living arrangements, making a few adjustments just may make you “fit” again.
Of course, there are downsides to living in a small home as well but I like to stick with the positives!
Do you live in a small home? Are you outgrowing your space?
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013