When it comes to loading a dishwasher, I have a very specific way of doing it. The right way.
Sort of. I do rearrange my dishwasher if someone else loads it! I might have even secretly re-loaded the dishwasher at another person’s house before!
A little over a month ago, I saw a segment on one of the morning shows discussing dishwashers. They had an expert on to talk about the correct way to load a dishwasher so it caught my eye. Since I had just started this blog, I grabbed a pen and paper and took some notes.
Photo Credit: epredator
Loading your dishwasher.
- According to high efficiency dishwasher manufactures, you can scrape the food off your dishes but you don’t have to rinse them. (I’m very curious about this. I’ve definitely found food particles in the bottom of my dishwasher and in the silverware basket before. And I rinse first.)
- Using the bottom rack load dishes along the sides and back of the dishwasher.
- Load dishes so they face towards the middle of the dishwasher.
- It’s safest to load silverware so it faces down. It’s cleanest if the silverware faces up. (I guess you just have to be sure that you have a way of pulling the silverware out of the basket by touching the handle. Otherwise, it seems like hands touching it kind of defeats the purpose.)
How much dishwasher detergent should be used?
- Surprisingly, less dishwasher detergent is needed than what is directed on the instructions. (I’ve also read this elsewhere). The “expert” recommended decreasing the amount used little by little until finding the least amount that would get the dishes cleaned.
- Those with hard water will need more detergent.
- A rinse agent helps the look of your dishes and they recommended using it with every load.
Read your dishwasher manual.
The manual will outline specifics for your particular model.
Clean your dishwasher on a regular basis.
In case you need to know how to clean your dishwasher, I’ve recently written about how easy it is!
So, is my way really the right way?
I load my dishwasher slightly different than they suggested on the morning segment. So, perhaps my way isn’t the “correct” way after all. I’m not sure I can change though. Maybe I’ll try. Maybe.
How about you? Do you load the dishwasher a certain way? Do you rearrange the dishes when others load the dishwasher?
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013