Have you ever had a meal at a friend’s house and as you were taking a sip out of your drinking glass, you smelled something that was….uh, a little stinky? More importantly, has that ever happened in your own home?
A few weeks ago, as I was unloading the dishwasher, I noticed that our dishes just didn’t smell clean. This just didn’t make sense. They had just been sanitized for over 70 minutes!
Little did I know the dishwasher was dirty!
What? How can a machine that is literally washed several times a week be dirty?
Well, trust me. It gets dirty. Really dirty!
Stop reading and go take a look at your dishwasher now. ….I’ll wait….
Food and soap scum can get trapped in all the tiny crevices and around the door. If your silverware tray is on the door, there’s likely dirt behind that as well.
How to clean and disinfect your dishwasher:
There are dishwasher cleaners on the market but it’s easy enough to clean and disinfect your dishwasher with what you already have at home.
- Just grab a toothbrush (one of the best tools you can keep in your “cleaning belt”) and scrub those corners and crevices until they are clean. Pay special attention to the areas around and under the door. Since it’s hot and damp, mold/mildew can grow quickly in those areas.
- Then put vinegar in a cup and place it right side up in the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Run a cycle on the highest temperature possible.
3 easy steps to a spotless dishwasher!
Cleaning your dishwasher once a month should keep your dishwasher clean and keep odors away! I know I’ll be adding this to my cleaning schedule. The last thing I want is for a guest to be able to smell my dishes. I have enough to worry about with my cooking!!
So let me know, have you ever cleaned your dishwasher?
Latest posts by iDreamOfClean (see all)
- Easy Way to Remove Sand from Hands and Feet at the Beach - May 12, 2013
- Clean Faster by Timing Yourself - May 9, 2013
- Easy Way to Make Memories with Your Kids this Summer - May 8, 2013
- Natural Green Ant Repellant - May 6, 2013
- The Path to a Minimalist Wardrobe - May 4, 2013